Thursday, January 26, 2012

I am a horrible person part II

You know how a passage in a novel, when taken out of context, can look incredibly wrong and terribly disturbing?

Yeeeeeeeeeah.

You'd be surprised how often that happens in classic literature.  I usually shrug it off as the product of my own twisted imagination.  But this time....this time I  swear it wasn't all me.  Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce Out of Context Thursdays*, where I quote a piece of classic literature for your intellectual perusal and general amusement without giving any indication of the larger context.  It's more fun that way.

This week's installment comes from the Narrative of the Life and Escape of William Wells Brown, included in the novel Clotel or, The President's Daughter by William Wells Brown.

"Well I thought I had better show it to him.  'Now,' said he, 'let me touch my tongue against it.'  I thought then that I had better give him a taste, but I would not trust him so far as I trusted John; so I called him to me, and got his head under my arm, and took him by the chin, and told him to hold out his tongue; and as he did so, I drew the barley sugar over very lightly.  He said, 'That's very nice; just draw it over again.  I could stand here and let you draw it across my tongue all day.' "   (Brown 22-23)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go find an adult...


*New content not guaranteed every Thursday.

No comments: