Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Rodin's House and Final Thoughts

Hello, internet. How are you? I'm fine. Been a bit preoccupied lately with life, but most of it good.

So I guess I should wrap up that Paris thing now, huh? I mean, it's been what--almost three months since the actual trip? Yeah, I should probably do that. So...

Here's Rodin's house!


As I'm sure you'll agree, the dude had some seriously sweet digs. I didn't take any pictures of the inside, but most of it was filled with sculptures. Here are a couple more pictures of the grounds.

This is the kind of class that's missing on MTV's Cribs

Seriously, how many artists do you know that lived like this. How many??

And another thing, am I the only one who thinks Rodin looks like Santa? Please tell me I'm not: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-R38535,_Auguste_Rodin.jpg

To learn more about the museum or explore the exhibits, click here: http://www.musee-rodin.fr/welcome.htm

And now for some more glamour shots of food.

Gods, I would shank someone for a decent macaron stateside.

Perfect chocolate goodness.

See?

Must have more chocolate!

This, my friends, is a croque madame. It is easily the best thing the French have ever invented. Just get me some good bread, some ham, lots of gruyere, and a fried egg and I am in heaven. In fact, if heaven doesn't have this sandwich then I'm not going.

Drooooooool

Wait a minute, you may be asking, what the hell is this? McDonalds? You went to Paris and had McDonalds?

Yeah, yeah I did. Call it a cultural experiment. Companies like McDonalds and Starbucks have been global for years now and I was curious to see how they differed between countries since there isn't much difference, if any, from state to state as far as I can tell.

First of all, the menu is much, much smaller than the one here in the U.S. Things like drink sizes are also smaller, which I kind of approve of. The items on the dessert menu also looked smaller and the desserts themselves seemed fancier. There was some kind of mousse and a small brownie or cake as I recall. We tried to order one but didn't know the right term and wound up getting an instant hot chocolate instead and even that tasted better than the instant hot chocolate here.

I had something called a McFarmer, which was being advertised all over French television and internet. It was basically a cheeseburger with shredded lettuce in a kind of coleslaw topping. The meat tasted slightly different. Less salty but more flavored, if that makes sense. The fries, strangely enough, were rather underwhelming. If you want real french fries in France take my advice and just go to any restaurant. Don't bother with McDonalds.

They also gave you one packet of ketchup and one packet of "pomme fritte sauce", which basically tasted of ketchup and mayonnaise. I don't recall if they had condiments out where you could get them or if you had to ask for more. Either way, I didn't use my French ketchup and instead opted to mail it to Skeeve.

The restaurant did not function the same way as most fast food places in the states. Instead of going up to the counter and ordering your food, there were several touchscreens where you could order and pay for your food and then wait while the kitchen finished your order. I've used one of those before when Disneyland experimented with them in one of their restaurants at California Adventure. They're actually pretty easy to figure out, but I swear Americans must be too stupid to use them. I assure you this consensus is based entirely upon my observations of people at Disneyland trying and failing. For people who didn't want to use one of the touchscreens, there was a hostess walking around who took orders electronically and then brought your tray to your table.

On the whole, I'm not sure whether I prefer the French or the American version. I should probably try the chicken nuggets next time since that's what I usually get when I do have McDonalds anyway. I will say this though, French Twix bars are waaaaaaaay more awesome than American Twix bars. French candy bars are required by law to have a higher percentage of cacao to actually be called "chocolate". You guys have no idea what you're missing.

So let's sum up.

Favorite food: Croque madame.
Favorite pastry: I'm gonna say pain au chocolat but macarons come in a close second.
Favorite drink: Chocolat chaud a l'ancien.
Favorite food on the go: Nutella crepe, though the banana and the cinnamon sugar were equally delicious.
Favorite museum: The Cluny. I could live there, you guys. I'm not even kidding. Second favorite would probably be the D'Orsay.
Favorite place: This bookstore.


This is the oldest English language bookstore in Paris. It's awesome. Shakespeare and Company is housed in a very old building and I swear you guys the inside looks like a witch's cottage. There are books literally from the floor to the ceiling. They have a sunken floor so you step down when you walk in and the shelves are all twisty turny. There's even a crooked staircase leading to the children's section upstairs. Barnes and Noble wishes it could be this awesome.

And I guess that's all I have to say about Paris. I'm flying to Seattle over spring break to visit my best friend Skeeve and her husband Jerome so I wanted to get the blog somewhat up to date before I start making posts about my upcoming trip. Of course as soon as I got back from Paris Scott and Eden showed up! So I'll see if I can crank out a post about some of the stuff we did while they were here before I get to Seattle. Until next time.

No comments: