Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day Five: Fucking Tourists

Day Five: Notre Dame Part Deux
Jan. 4th 2011

Today I dragged Dad all the way up the towers of Notre Dame. It was literally freezing outside and we stood in a long line that stretched all the way down the block just to climb what seemed like an endless spiral staircase of doom. An endless spiral staircase that you have to pay money for the privilege of climbing. Dad and I were able to use our museum passes to get in.

It was so cold that I nearly chickened out just as we were getting to the front of the line. My toes started hurting as I fidgeted to keep the blood circulating and I started to wonder if I was getting hypothermia and would need to have my toes amputated to save the rest of my legs. Dad kept encouraging me to hold out just a little longer until we finally made it inside.

There was a gift shop a couple flights up where we stopped to buy souvenirs before going up the rest of the way. My breathing was pretty ok, but at one point I was sure my quads were going to give out and I'd have to be dragged back down the tower. I think Dad was feeling the same way.

The stairs became narrower and more worn as we reached the top and I was extremely glad that Mom had rubber soles put on my boots for Christmas. Each step was worn down from centuries of climbing so that it curved in the middle. Someone was nice enough to install a railing, however, which made the journey slightly less treacherous.

Just as I thought I wouldn't be able to climb any further, the stairs ended and we reached the top. Finally, I had completed my quest. Now that I made it to the top, I had a job to do. I had to find...this guy.
Fucking tourists...

Mom and Dad took this same picture about 20 years ago and now I have finally duplicated it. As always, Timmy was there to lend a hand.

This was as much of Timmy's safety as I was willing to risk

Here are a few more of my favorite gargoyles.

This one reminds me of my doggies

Chicken is made of what?!?

I swear this one is Rob

Oh, and we also got to see the bell.

Here is the entrance

The bell

And the view looking up into the tower

Dad thought we'd go to the archaeological crypt under Notre Dame when we finally made our way back down the staircase. They have ruins down there dating back to the Romans. Much like Ankh-Morpork, most of Paris is built on Paris.


I took a lot more pictures of the ruins, but I figure you guys are probably tired of staring at bits of rock. On to the food!

From left to right: bouche noel, macarons, apple tartes, and an almond galette. Behind Timmy is a bottle of apple cider. Omnomnom

Yeah, that was pretty much our dinner. Dad just pointed out that if only the French had been able to hang onto all of Canada and not just Montreal we would have fabulous French food just across the border...le sigh

No comments: