Friday, July 16, 2010

The hell, you say?

Ok, so in case you haven't seen the Associated Press article yet (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_web_i_write_like), there's this website called I Write Like that's becoming increasingly popular. All you have to do is copy and paste a few paragraphs of your writing into the text box and the website will analyze your writing style, mostly based on word choice according to the AP article. I decided to play around with this a bit to see if my given writing style varies depending on genre/subject matter. Here are the results.

A selection of my 2008 NaNoWriMo novel, which I've been working on recently:

I write like
James Joyce

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!


Apparently I'm a chip off the old block despite not having read anything by James Joyce. Bad, English major, bad! *slaps wrist* Anyone have any suggestions?

(edit: 11:39 pm) I pasted the first few paragraphs of the same novel, which I haven't touched since 2008, to see if I'd get a different result and got J.D. Salinger. That's kinda cool.


A fantasy novel I have sworn to finish one day and haven't worked on since I was in high school:

I write like
Stephenie Meyer

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!


In my defense, I did write it when I was in high school and I left all the formatting mistakes (paragraph wise) intact. For authenticity. All this says, really, is that Stephanie Meyer apparently writes like a shy, nerdy, 16 year old. I think I can hear Scott laughing at me all the way from Canada.


And finally, a blog post. Specifically, the one about Trix:

I write like
Stephen King

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!


I haven't read anything by Stephen King, either. Amazing how I write like all these authors I've never read.

Who do you write like? Share it in the comments!

1 comment:

sgibbons said...

This may come as no surprise, but apparently I write like H.P. Lovecraft. It all makes sense now :P