Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Birthday, Alicia!


I don't have a more recent picture, so here's one from a few years ago. Gods, I can't believe that was Evan's first RenFaire. I'm getting old :P

Sorry, what was that? What do you mean "is there anything else I'd like to add"? Today is Alicia's birthday, what else could there--

Oh.
Right.

*sigh* Happy National Blow Shit Up Day, everyone. Or as you normal people call it, Independence Day, 4th of July, whatever. I hate this fecking holiday.

Now, before the thought police cart me away, allow me to make it clear that I don't hate America. Or the fact that we have a special day on which we celebrate America's birthday. I've got no problem with that. My problem is with the idiots who set themselves on fire every year and fill the air with enough smog and sulfur to choke a herd of elephants.

Every 4th of July I sit inside, lights low, quiet music playing, and try to amuse myself whilst making sure that the animals are all safe and comfortable so they don't go ballistic at the sound of....well, ballistics. Broadly speaking, this holiday sucks. For pet owners, for environmentalists, and for the firemen that have to go and save your stupid ass when you set your apartment on fire trying to launch rockets from your roof.

Please. Leave the fireworks to the professionals. It's what Sam the Eagle would do.


And now that I've finished my safety/anti-stupid PSA, I am announcing a live blog (well, sort of) of tonight's events. I will be sitting locked in my room with two cats who hate each other, trying to make sure that both are safe and calm while I watch reruns of something British. Probably Doctor Who. Hey, you celebrate America's independence in your way and I'll celebrate it in mine. By recognizing the fact that 234 years ago we all used to be British.

Cheerio then.

No comments: