Wednesday, November 4, 2009

To write or not to write...

That is the question.

NaNoWriMo season is upon us again and I'm still debating whether or not I can actually do it this year.

I still haven't finished my novel from last year. I blame school and family drama along with good ol' procrastination. I planned the novel out as a trilogy so I could conceivably start the second book, but doing that before the first book is finished seems like a bad idea. If there's one thing NaNoWriMo taught me last year it's not to get ahead of myself.

Then again, since I more or less know how the first book is going to end and how I want the second book to begin I could start the second one while finishing the first simultaneously.

Or I could do NaNoWriMo informally by not signing up and just working on adding 50,000 more words to my first novel, the one I'm still currently working on. But we all know that's no fun.

Then to make things even more complicated, I just found out that there's going to be a write-in at the Barnes and Noble in Torrance tomorrow, which is really close to where I live. A write-in is basically where a bunch of NaNoWriMo participants gather together in one place to work on their respective novels. I never got around to going to one last year because most of them were a little out of the way. I'd never been to any of the locations before and the closest ones were always in Long Beach, which wasn't too bad. But that would have required me to go over the bridge and I never managed to get up the motivation to do so. The difference here is that I've been to this particular Barnes and Noble many times, so there's no trying to figure out how to get there or if I'm in the right place. Mostly I just want to hang out with some literary minded people and maybe wind up making some new friends.

Of course I spontaneously came down with a sore throat late this afternoon so whether or not I go tomorrow will depend on how this progresses. I don't have a fever or any other symptoms. My tonsils aren't swollen, my throat is just sore. I'm not sure if I have post nasal drip or not (I know, gross) but if I do it's a very slow, viscous kind of drip (I know, I know. Sorry). When you've been sick as often as I have in the past you get kinda used to talking about bodily fluids. I'm wondering if it's Strep, since I seem to get that almost every year around this time. But, like I said, my tonsils aren't swollen. We'll see what happens.

No comments: