Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Research Halp!

Does anyone know how to say "I'm sorry" or, alternately, "I fucked up" in floriography?

It's research for this year's NaNo novel...don't ask.

I need to get my hands on a copy of The Language of Flowers. Wikipedia has about a hundred different ways of expressing love via floriography but nothing that says "I screwed up, please don't dump me," or even a simple "I'm sorry."

*looks at the list again* I guess I could go with marigolds, those are for pain and grief apparently. If anyone comes up with a better answer please halp!

3 comments:

Quizmo said...

Flowers do not feel, or say, "sorry".. flowers only feel joy.

If you need to relate sorrow to a flower? How 'bout a cactus? Naw, cause a cactus flower is there to relieve one of the stress of the cacti's less than beautiful plant part. Well then again.. maybe it's its way of saying "sorry.. but let me make it up to you?"
Dunno.

"A rose by any other name.. "

Beth said...

Your blog on language of flowers looks wonderful. All flowers have a meaning. The Victorians used to use flowers as a symbol to express their feelings. Iflorist.co.uk

ksaldria said...

Well the thing is, one of the characters in my NaNo novel is a vampire who lived through the Victorian age and his girlfriend is a part-time romance novelist who knows about floriography. So he tends to take that into consideration when he buys her flowers.

I was just looking for one that meant a simple "I'm sorry" but I can't seem to find it :/ I thought it existed but maybe I was wrong. In any case, I just settled for roses.