Monday, November 30, 2009

I have no shame

So it became clear to me sometime before 8 pm tonight that there was no way I was going to be able to clear 10,000 words by midnight. And it turned out I was right.

But ksaldria, you say, doesn't that bar on the left side of your blog say that you have succeeded in reaching 50,000 words? Why, yes it does. But in order to get that bar to 50k I had to resort to some down and dirty tricks to up my word count. Yes, boys and girls, I...."cheated".

But ksaldria, you may ask, why is the word "cheated" in quotation marks?

Well, you see, it's like this. Every year at the end of NaNoWriMo it is a time honored tradition for everyone to scramble their way to 50,000 words at the very last minute. In celebration of this yearly tradition, NaNoWriMo provides it's participants with many suggestions as to how to pad their word count. Like having your main character sing very long songs in the shower, or describing in great detail some crazy dream they randomly had, or making reeeeally long lists of items that your character suddenly has to go shop for. Well....I wound up doing something kind of like that. I took all my class notes that I took on the computer this November, along with all my homework assignments and papers that I worked on this month and randomly worked them into my novel, which amounted to about 7,ooo extra words that I badly needed.

I assure you that I am not a proud woman. But in my defense, every extra, unnecessary word that I included was my own writing. Everything that I put into my novel was my own work and to top it all off, it was all written in the month of November.

On the one hand, I feel like I've passed some kind of NaNoWriMo milestone by needlessly padding my word count to reach 50k. I've taken part in a great and noble tradition among November novelists and for that I feel just the teensiest bit awesome.

So congrats to Quizmo, my noble opponent, for bravery and courage in the heat of literary battle. I salute you and all your substantial literary might. Here's to next year :D


No comments: