Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What happens in Camelot, stays in Camelot

Yay, a blog post!

So this past Saturday I went to the Ahmanson theatre in Los Angeles to see Spamalot with my family. I say family because everybody was there. Mom, Richard, my grandparents, my cousins, and two of my uncles and aunts. It was a Monty Python free for all.

Spamalot is the musical lovingly ripped off from the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail. And if you've never heard of Monty Python...well, then, there's just no hope for you at all. You've probably been living in a cave your whole life. You might as well end it now and throw yourself to the killer rabbit. But I digress.

More than anything, Spamalot is Eric Idle's latest excuse to make more money. And we all love him for it.

I wont go into too much detail about the plot. Mostly because there isn't one, really. If you've seen the movie you already know what the musical is about. And if you haven't seen the movie what the heck are you doing reading this blog? Go rent it and absorb some culture why don't you.

We met up with everyone outside the theatre just before the matinee was about to start. So after a quick round of hugs and kisses we all shuffled inside and found our seats. One of the things I really liked about the show was that the still managed to have the little cartoons that accompanied all of the Monty Python sketches and movies. Basically, there was a big screen that would come down every so often and the cartoons would be projected onto it. It captured the spirit of the old Monty Python sketches beautifully.

The best part was the French taunting. There were many other good parts, (the killer rabbit was awesome) but it just figures that since the French taunters are my favourite part of the movie then naturally they'd be my favourite part of the musical. There I go spelling "favourite" like a Brit again :P

The comedy was brilliant. Lots of great sight gags and word play. One of my favorite bits went something like this:

King Arthur: We must go on a quest and retrieve the Holy Grail!

Sir Robin: The what?

King Arthur: The Holy Grail! The vessel from which Christ drank at the last supper.

Sir Robin: What? They had a boat at the last supper? Was it some sort of dinner cruise?

Sounds like something my dad would come up with, doesn't it? Anywho, to make a long story short as they say, the musical was a lot of fun. I've had the original broadway cast recording (featuring Tim Curry, Hank Azaria, and David Hyde Pierce--Squee! ^.^) for a couple years now so needless to say the singing wasn't quite up to the standards that I'm used to. But you know what? It's Monty Python. If you're hung up on the music there's something wrong with you.

The ending was the best. They pulled some guy from the audience on stage and I was so jealous. Then they exploded confetti everywhere! A bunch of it rained all over me and I picked it up and put it in my purse because I'm a dork like that.

I guess Mom wasn't feeling well after the show and she and Richard decided to go home early. They left me to have dinner with Mimi and Poppy and everyone else. We went to this French/Italian restaurant a little ways from the theatre. The inside looked very French in comparison to the French restaurants Dad has taken me to. But most of the food was Italian. Whatever it was, it was pretty good.

The best part was I got to sit with my cousins Evan and Kyra and enjoy their company, but not after a brief moment of panic. Everyone else had already sat down, leaving two seats open for Evan and Kyra next to their dad and one seat open for me next to my grandmother. The three of us just stared at each other for a moment, Kyra with a growing expression of distress, as our brains kept flashing, "Does Not Compute! Error! Error!" Then finally Mimi looked at us and said, "Why don't you kids sit together?" and got everyone to move down a seat. Evan and Kyra were immediately relieved as I sat down between them. Because the three of us cannot eat unless I am sitting in the middle. Because we are five.

The food was yummy, though Evan was disappointed that we didn't get dessert. I told him we would get ice cream on Friday. Friday is my birthday, by the way. We decided we're gonna go do something. Probably Disneyland. In any case there will be ice cream.

Here is one of my birthday presents. A Spamalot T-shirt from God and Richard. It reads "Fetch the cow!" in French. Though somehow I doubt "Fetchez" is in fact a French verb. Now if you'll excuse me, I must go a fashion myself a killer rabbit puppet.

No comments: