Saturday, May 2, 2009

RenFaire, Renfaire, Reeeeeeeenfaire!

(This is Evan at his very first RenFaire when he was about 14 or 15.  He's probably going to hate me for posting it, but his sister's going to love me for weeks.)

I am amused because, according to weather.com, Irwindale, CA does not exist. So I had to look up Baldwin Park instead, which is in roughly the same area. It looks like tomorrow is going to be one of those weird weather days at the Faire. Usually Renfaire is all "omghot!". Like, seriously. Last year I went with just Skeeve and Evan. Skeeve and I were, of course, wearing our corsets and the temperature outside was somewhere in the upper 90s. We bought water from this nice lady (because it's important to stay hydrated at Faire, heatstroke is not fun, people!) who literally poured two generous handfuls of ice down the front of our corsets. The ice basically sat on top of our cleavage (because that's what corsets are for) for all of two seconds before it melted. That is more or less considered normal weather for the Southern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire.

But a couple years ago when I took Kyra to the Faire for the first time it was strangely cold. Very weird. Especially since this is going to be Kyra's second trip to the Faire and the forecast is mostly cloudy with a high of 78˚. Apparently my cousin can control the weather. Sweet.

I'm going to be wearing enough layers that I should be fine, but I'll probably bring a couple of cloaks along in case the kids want them. I still call them "the kids" even though they're 17 and 15. Don't know what Kyra is going to be wearing since last I heard she somehow lost her (relatively expensive) bodice. How do you lose a bodice anyway? o.O I still don't know. In any case, I'll be bringing a couple of skirts that I've had sitting around waiting for her for a while. Evan is getting a vest that is...well, not exactly Elizabethan. But now that I've finished putting some trim on it, it doesn't look like it came from Wal-Mart. As much.

As I mentioned in the podcast for those of you who were able to hear it (sorry Quizmo :( ), the theme for the RenFaire this week is the "Wine Tasting Bacchanal Weekend". According to the website it will be a "Grape Stomping, Wine Tasting, Bacchanal and Masquerade Party and Celebration". I'm a little worried about the grape stomping. And I just know there's going to be more drunks than usual this weekend, I just bloody know it. All that aside, I am somewhat tempted to partake in the wine tasting portion. Except I know for a fact that my cousins would be jealous. Darn those cultured cousins of mine and their appreciation for fine food and wine. Damn, now I want some more of that wine that Skeeve and I had at Faerieworlds. I believe it was a Müller-Thurgau and it was yummy! My mother and I seem to have similar tastes when it comes to alcohol. I gotta take my mom drinking one of these days. Or I would if her body hadn't recently decided to reject beer and wine. She can still partake of the hard stuff like bourbon or whiskey but I guess her tummy just decided to say no to fermented grapes and grains. *shrug*

Anyway, it's past midnight now and I should really go to bed since I'm going to be up early tomorrow, but a couple more things before I go.

1) I met Dad at the Redondo Beach Pier today where we had oysters and soft serve green tea ice cream! He also brought me Zachary's stuffed pizza all the way from Berkeley! OMFG, best freaking pizza you will ever eat in your life!

2) I finally got my hands on some Pepsi Throwback, which is made entirely with natural sugar and no high fructose corn syrup. It. Is. Awesome. I hope it sticks around, because if this stuff goes the way of Pepsi Holiday Spice I will cry. Gods, I miss that stuff.

3) Aaaaaand that's it. Goodnight, everybody!

No comments: