Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Papers and Pie


I got my first English paper of the semester back today. I also made the best pie in the whole damn world! Recipe can be found here: Pie So Easy It Should Be Called Your Mama. Seriously, this is some good pie and it was the easiest thing in the world to make. Mom couldn't get enough of it.


What's that? Oh right, my English paper. As I said this was my first English paper at CSUDH and I was pretty nervous. After all, this is grown up college we're talking about and I signed up for an upper level English course without taking any of their recommended lower division courses. I've taken tons of English classes at Harbor so I figured I was pretty safe, but still nervous.

Turns out I not only got an A, I had the best paper in the class. My professor wrote the following:

"Wow. Best paper I've read this term, very thoughtful and well-spoken. Where did you pick up such skills? How did you hide yourself so well in the thick of this class till now? To me, you have stated the (indirect) historical guilt registered by Hawthorne's tale quite perfectly"

Answer? I took a lot of literature classes. Also, I've been reading voraciously since age five. And...yeeeah, I tend to be one of those kids that doesn't talk much in class and prefers to let her writing speak for itself. This paper was mainly about "Roger Malvin's Burial" by Nathaniel Hawthorne with some of The Life of Black Hawk thrown in. The class is American Gothic Literature so we read a lot of Poe, Hawthorne, and Dickinson.

Incidentally, my new favorite Poe story that I never knew existed is Hop-Frog. It's relatively short and available online. Give it a read some time.

As for me? I'm off to enjoy more tasty pie. Omnomnom!

2 comments:

Quizmo said...

Yay! Congrats on all "p" accounts! Just curious, and not that I'd know, but who is you professor for the "paper" part?

All of your loyal readers know what a good writer you are... dang that instructor for taking so long.
Bravo!!

ksaldria said...

The professor is Dr. Hauss. Not sure how long he's been at Dominguez, but he knows his stuff.