Sunday, December 7, 2008

Timmy visits the Getty Museum.

Ok, Skeeve reminded me that I need to post about Bats Day. But first, the Getty!

So for my art history class I had to visit the Getty Museum and write about three works of art that I liked or otherwise found interesting. It turned out Evan had to do something similar for his ceramics class so I made arrangements to spend the night at Jolie's the day before Bats Day so Evan and I could get our homework done. Timmy was excited. This was his first museum trip!

For those who don't know, or if it's been too long since you've been there, this is what the outside of the Getty looks like! This is a shot of the steps leading up to the main entrance after you get off the tram. Yes, there's a tram that takes you to the museum. Just like Disneyland!

The Getty Museum is home to a wide variety of modern and classical art. With that being said, Evan and I had fun trying to figure out what the hell this thing is. I thought it looked like a lacrosse bat and Evan thought it looked like the end of a putting iron or something. Somehow I don't think either of us were right.



We wandered around and looked at stuff. Ancient stuff, old stuff, classical stuff, modern stuff, and food stuff. Evan and I hadn't eaten so we decided to grab a bite at the cafe before they closed. I had this chicken sammich thingy with fig spread that turned out to be pretty good. Evan had caesar salad and m&ms. No, not at the same time, geeze.



We didn't get to the Getty until 4:00 or so. So the sun started to set shortly after we arrived. I don't think I've ever been to the Getty at sunset before, it's quite pretty. We finished lunchfest and continued to wander around the museum. I wanted to try and get in a couple of modern paintings since my art history class this semester covers the Renaissance to the present day.

We soon discovered that the Getty Museum is awesome at night. They were open till nine that night and I think we stayed until at least 7:30. Hardly anyone is around and thus you can take as long as you like to browse the artwork. There's no crowding, no tourists pushing to the front, and no noise. Museums at night are just neat. If you've been reading my novel for NaNoWriMo this year, it's probably what inspired that museum scene I put in there.

Here's a picture of everyone staring at the sunset. I'm only posting this because Evan thought the kid running through the shot was cute. So eventually we went back inside and started looking at more art stuffs. I found three paintings I wanted to use for my paper and wrote down the necessary information. Then we just sort of goofed around for a while and looked at art. These are the paintings I chose to write about:




The Portal of Rouen Cathedral in Morning Light by Claude Monet



Mars and Venus, an Allegory of Peace by Louis-Jean-François Lagrenée




Musical Group on a Balcony by Gerrit Van Honthorst



This painting is on the ceiling and a lot of people miss it for that reason. Evan lied down on the floor and took the picture for me. I like this painting a lot. I want it in my house. I also took some pictures of a few painting purely for reasons of comedy but I'll post those one day out of the blue when I'm bored cause this post is pretty image intense already.


After I decided on all the paintings I needed we explored the rest of the museum. We found this neat exhibit where you sit in a chair and a video camera inserts your image into one of the furniture rooms in the Getty that you're not normally allowed to go in. This is what the room itself looks like. The chairs are models of historical pieces of furniture from different rooms. You sit in a different chair, you get a different room. Here we have Evan checking out the video screens in what everyone is now calling the perfect facebook picture. I think this is the artsy-est photo I've ever accidentally taken. This is what the screen looks like when you sit down. Pretty neat, huh? We had fun playing around with that for a while.


Afterwards we wandered around those outside areas where nobody goes and saw some weird statues we'd never seen before. Eventually we realized it was getting kinda late so we went back to the Greek and Roman stuff so Evan could do his ceramics assignment and take down some information on pottery. Evan finished his homework and we went outside and had a snack at one of the food carts that were still open. We had hot chocolate and walked around outside.
We got slightly lost along the outside stairs and balconies trying to go from one pavilion to the other. It was...interesting.

Once we finished our drinks and found our way back inside we decided to check out the exhibits that are usually too crowded during the day to enjoy. I finally got to see Van Gogh's Irises unobstructed. Why is it that Van Gogh painted all his best stuff while he was institutionalized? We wandered around the empty museum a bit more until we found some of Timmy's relatives.



They're guinea pigs in case you can't tell. We spotted them at the bottom of a much larger painting. I can't even remember what it was supposed to be. Some kind of grand painting of mythological figures I think. All Evan and I could care about what the fact that there were two cute little guinea pigs in it. Of course Timmy had to take a picture.


We tried to take one closer but we scared the security guard, who told us we had to maintain a distance of 1 foot from the artwork at all times. I guess he was worried Timmy's quills would scratch up the painting or something. Eventually we decided we'd seen everything there was to see and went back to Jolie's house for the night. I stayed up and worked on my novel while we waited for Kyra's friend to show up. She finally got there around midnight and she and Kyra stayed up into the wee hours of the morning looking up goth makeup tutorials on youtube. I'm not sure when I finally closed the laptop and went to sleep, but the girls were still up when I drifted off to sleep.

Up next: Bats Day! Followed by The Dicken's Fair!

No comments: