Monday, December 1, 2008

In which novels are born and fog is terrifying

Ok. You guys want to know what happened last night, right? Here goes...

Dad and I got to the airport around 2:30-3:00. My flight was originally scheduled to depart at 4:00 pm. We got there and found out it was delayed until 6:15. I just kind of went "Bwuh..?" while Dad laughed his ass off. So we sat around for four hours. We talked, we looked at the airport museum, we had a snack, I did a little writing for NaNoWriMo. We checked the time again and saw that the plane had been further delayed to 6:50. Oy. Found out later the flight was coming from Seattle and there was too much fog for the plane to safely take off.

So fast forward a bit later when I finally said bye to Dad and got to go through security. The plane boarded at 6:45 but we didn't take off until about 7:15 because they had to re-enter the flight into the computer -_- Finally we got off the ground and were on our way home. I took out my laptop and did some more writing. I was almost to 50k!

So an hour passd and they told us to put our electronics away and prepare for landing--huzzah! Everyone complied and put up their seat trays and then we all started to realize that we were going in circles. WTF, mate? The captain came on the loudspeaker and told us that it was too foggy for us to land in Long Beach. What the f#@%ing hell?! Are you kidding me? Don't you people know I have a novel to turn in tonight?! Sadly they weren't kidding and we continued to circle for twenty minutes while they decided if the weather would get better or if we were going to have to land at another airport.

They said we could use our phones so I called God and let her know what was going on. I figured if it was ok to use phones it must be ok to use laptops. So I pulled out my computer and kept writing. There was no way I was going to let this bull get in the way of finishing my novel.

The weather only got worse and they diverted us to Ontario, which is an hour away by car. We sat on the runway for another forty five minutes. Meanwhile I finished with 50,063 words by 10:00pm and I had no way of uploading it D: I tried looking for an internet connection from the plane but no dice. We sat there while they tried to decide if they would fly us back to Long Beach or shuttle us back in buses. I was on the phone to God and Dad letting them know what was going on as I got more details. All the while they only thing I could think of was my poor novel waiting to be uploaded.

Finally they told us they were going to bus us into Long Beach, which takes about an hour. But first we had to wait for them to find some stairs that would fit our plane. >.<>

Meanwhile I'm standing there with my laptop open, battery nearly drained, looking forlornly for a wireless signal. I found one that looked like the airport wireless network. I had to pay $3.99 for it. Damn. My insanity won out however and I purchased the internet only to find that the connection kept timing out and I was unable to log on. ARRRGGH! I turned off my computer again, wandered around the baggage area, and waited for my bag. I talked to God and we decided I would try and take a cab home from Long Beach since she had to be up at 6:00 the next morning to go to work. I found out that the airport was also a T Mobile hotspot, but that cost money too and I still needed to figure out how I was getting home.

I got my bag after much waiting around and found some other passengers who looked just as lost as I was. We found out that the buses were outside, all the way down the street, waiting for us. Luckily, we found them without any further trouble and boarded the bus. We sat there for another twenty minutes or so waiting for other passengers to turn up. It was getting closer to midnight and I was near tears at this point. It was so disappointing to have legitimately won the 50k challenge with no way to validate my word count.

My battery was very low at this point. I had maybe ten to fifteen minutes of battery left. In a fit of insanity I turned on my laptop and logged on to the T Mobile hot spot. I found a payment option for $2.99 for one hour. I bought it. I had internet access! I quickly opened word, copied and pasted my entire manuscript into the validation box and sent it in at 11:38 pm. I was rewarded with the image of a viking long ship and a message of congratulations with the word "Winner!" emblazoned across the screen. I did it. I was a novelist.

I was so happy and so relieved and so amazed at how important this whole thing had been to me. 50,000 words is the most I have ever written, ever and reaching that was a glorious feeling. I talked to Skeeve for a bit until God called and I decided to save my battery. The bus took off for Long Beach and it was an hour drive back home. Luckily I had my iPod so I rocked out in the dark, reveling in the feeling of being an author again.

The closer we got to Long Beach, the scarier the fog became. This was scary fog. This was fog that is going to swallow you up and eat you and spit out your bones fog. We couldn't see a damn thing. We made it to Long Beach airport around 1:00 in the morning. I got my bag and looked around for a taxi. After some initial confusion I found the place where they all live. Some guy was getting chewed out by the...um...I guess you'd call him the taxi manager for insulting a customer. I think he was fired. That was scary o.o

I got a cab and started home. It took a while because the fog was that thick. Creepy fog. Finally managed to get home at 1:45 am. The cab fare was exorbitant but at least I was home. Rob was so happy to see me. He was the only one awake when I came home and he would not leave me alone. By his reaction, it was as if Santa had just walked in and Christmas had come early. I said hi to Rob and then went in and woke up God to let her know I was home. I stayed up for another hour talking to Skeeve about the craziness of the evening and finally crashed right around 3:00 am.

So there you are. Now you're all up to date. Whew.

1 comment:

Quizmo said...

I'm so glad you made it.. made it home, made the word count, AND made the deadline. I was really worried you wouldn't be able to slide in.. but to home plate--you made it!

Yes it was grueling, but you did it. We did it! I thank you for pacing me. I think it really helped (me).

Congratulations on the victory!

(And I'm with your dad.. I would have been laughing too. Ain't life grand!)