Tuesday, September 23, 2008

When Shall We Three Meet Again?

Well I can do next Tuesday.

Seriously though, Tuesday is now my favorite day of the week for Disneyland.  It's such an awkward day of the week for most people that Disneyland attendance is very low on that particular day.  Of course Skeeve, Jerome, and I made sure to go one last time before they left for Washington.  We chose the Tuesday before they left which meant that I got to skip my Art History class.  I went to my 8:00 am class (Humanities) and they made plans to meet me at school at 9:35.

As usual, we left a bit later than we originally intended.  Once we got there we decided to take Jerome to California Adventure first so he could go on the new Toy Story ride.  I like that ride.  It's fun.  Plus, you get to talk to Mr. Potato Head.  Mr. Potato Head is animatronic (duh) with computerized eyes, probably an image projected inside his head and reflecting off the curve of his eyeballs.  Or I guess the eyes themselves could be screens.  Jerome could explain it better than I can.  Anyway, Jerome was looking at Monsieur Pomme de Terre through polarized sunglasses, which make everything look creepy.  Particularly this vegetable's computerized eyes.  Through Jerome's magic lenses they became purple and red and glowing and see-through.  Who knew a starchy vegetable could be so unnerving?  

The Toy Story ride was broken when we got there.  Mr. Potato Head was working fine, however.  That's suspicious if you ask me.  We wandered around a bit and enjoyed the nice open area because nobody else was there.  Once the ride opened up again we only had to wait about half an hour which was a mere fraction of the time Skeeve and I waited the first time around.  We finished the ride and I was happy to see that my score had improved since last time.  This and Astro Blasters are the only two "competitive" rides in the park and yes, we take them fairly seriously.  


We continued to wander around California Adventure for a bit as it was nearly deserted.  It's kinda weird living in California and being able to see the most recognizable parts of your state broken up into what serve as "lands" with bad puns and cheesy names.  There's a section of the park which is clearly Santa Monica/Santa Cruz/any other boardwalk area you can think of.  It blends into the wharf area that makes up what's supposed to be a portion of San Francisco.  San Francisco Land is missing two important components.  One of them being the obvious rainbow flags the other being sea lions.  I've been to Pier 39 at Fisherman's Wharf and the sheer number of sea lions is astounding.  The place is crawling with them.  Though perhaps "lounging" would be a more appropriate term.  Wouldn't it be great if California Adventure did a Gay Pride Parade through the San Francisco section every two and a half hours?  I think it's imperative to capture the unique and diverse atmosphere of our glorious state.


But anyway, back to Santa Cruz.  We looked around and I took pictures of random stuff.  We wandered through the shops and found that they were starting to put out the halloween merchandise.  Apparently this year is the 15th anniversary of Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas.  I still remember the first time I saw it.  I was seven years old and God brought it home for me to watch when I was sick.  I should mention that she also brought me Little Nemo.  That's right, I watched two of the strangest, most surreal kid movies ever made while I was sick.  Gotta love my mom.  As I recall I watched most of Nightmare and Nemo from behind a pillow, but I watched it regardless.  Years later (after getting over my fear of the Beetlejuice soundtrack) came an appreciation for Danny Elfman.  The Nightmare Before Christmas holds a special place in the hearts of my generation.  But not quite enough for me to buy an $18 commemorative travel mug...though I may go back to The Disney Store for that one sweater (it was comfy, ok?).


Jerome found The World's Strongest Man inside one of the shops on the boardwalk.  Look at this guy, he's holding up the whole store!  We eventually convinced Jerome to go on the marine carousel with us on the condition that he got to ride a sea lion.  I got a sea otter and Skeeve got a dolphin.  I don't think Timothy was terribly excited about the carousel.  He does kind of look like a sea urchin if you squint a bit and that sea otter sure looks hungry.  Remember guys: hedgehogs are friends, not food.

As 
we were wandering around we started to think about what we might want to do for dinner.  It suddenly occurred to me that we had never been to The Blue Bayou restaurant (OMG overpriced!!) in New Orleans Square and this was possibly our only chance to go all together.  Jerome seemed to like the idea so we hoofed it over to Disneyland to make the reservation.   We managed to get in for a late lunch at 4:00, fair enough.  So we went on a few rides, had a snack or two, and went back to The Blue Bayou around 3:45.  


We gave the hostess our name and went to sit in the little waiting lounge.  It was...um...fancy?  I guess?  There were mirrors and chandeliers and, uh, cushioned benches.  So I guess you could call it fancy.  Finally someone called out "Cawley-party of three" and we got to go inside the exclusive,  mysterious and by far, most expensive restaurant in the park.  So yeah, we got into The Blue Bayou.  Barely.  We were seated, I kid you not, at a table a mere five feet away from the door.  Not quite the same atmosphere as by the water or in the center of the restaurant.  We knew we were going to be paying at least $30 a person for this meal.  Skeeve and Jerome decided to splurge and got the filet mignon.  I wasn't in the mood to shell out (pardon the pun) $50 for a lobster and filet so I went with an interesting looking jambalaya for $28.  We each had a choice of soup or salad.  Skeeve got one of those wedge salads realizing too late that it had the word "wedge" in it.  Jerome and I each had a cup of gumbo.  


The gumbo was really good.  Not too terribly different from the regular gumbo you get in the park.  After all, there's only so many ways to prepare it.  This one was a bit thicker with better tasting sausage and it seemed to have some different spices in it.  Skeeve's salad came as a little wedge of lettuce with some dressing and other little vegetables on the side.  She had to cut it with a knife and fork though, which she didn't like very much.  We also got cold (yes, cold) rolls and butter to eat while we waited for our main course.  Maybe I'm asking too much, but you'd think for the amount they're charging they'd have to decency to serve us warm, or at the very least, room temperature rolls.  But no, these were cold like they'd just come out of the refrigerator.  What gives, Disney?  Uncle Walt would be so pissed right now and you don't want to make Uncle Walt angry...you wouldn't like him when he's angry.

Eventually the main courses came.  I had a taste of Skeeve's filet mignon.  It was ok.  The meat was cooked well but they were really unimaginative with the spices.  I've had way better filet mignon for the same price Disneyland was charging.  The potatoes were good though.  Yummy, cheesy, delicious potatoes.  My jambalaya wasn't too bad actually.  It wasn't worth $28 but it wasn't bad either.  It was spicy with a mild after burn that wasn't too overpowering.  They tried to offer us dessert afterwards but we said no thanks and asked for the bill.  I think it came out to around $120 just for entrees and drinks.  I whipped out my magic passport of doom, however, and saved us $20--woohoo!  So basically my pass paid for my meal, that's always nice.

After that we went on more rides.  I can't even remember what anymore.  Maybe I should get one of those stupid little tape recorders so I can take notes.  We did all the important stuff obviously: Thunder Mountain, Materhorn, Space Mountain, etc.  We went on Indiana Jones and Jerome got to drive.  He was happy about that.  

The park closed at 8:00 that night.  Which was a good thing because I had to get up for class the next day.  It was kinda weird being at Disneyland at night and not seeing any kind of show in progress.  No fireworks, no Fantasmic.  It was all just...quiet.  Even on Main Street the atmosphere seemed to say, "We're still staying open an hour past closing but really we just want you to go home."  We didn't shop this time but we did get ice cream for dinner.  I had cookies and cream in a waffle cone and Skeeve and Jerome had sundaes.  

Now we all know how much Skeeve like maraschino cherries (eww).  I'm not particularly fond of them as I'm sure you can tell.  So whenever I get something like a sundae or a shirley temple that comes with one or more maraschino cherries I usually give it to Skeeve.  Or Evan.  Basically whoever's around at the time and wants it the most.  Anyway, Jerome knows how much Skeeve likes them so he gave her the cherry off his sundae.  Then he turned around and pulled a second cherry out of the air and Skeeve couldn't figure out where it came from.  Here we see Skeeve with a puzzled expression on her face as she points at her husband in  an accusatory manner.  Obviously someone gave Jerome two cherries but he transfered them to Skeeve in such a stealthy manner than no one knew what happened.  Ok, maybe you just had to be there.  After ice cream we decided to go home.  We were all pretty tired from waking up so early.  I stopped in front of the firehouse on Main Street and took a few pictures because I hadn't been in there in so long.  After that we got on the tram, got in the car, and went home.  Certainly the earliest any of us have left Disneyland in a long, long, time.  

So that was it.  I don't know when I'll be at Disneyland again since everyone I know who has a pass has moved away.  Might still go for Bats Day with the kids but that will depend on their schedules since Bats Day is on a Sunday this year.  I could always bring them home early but that's up to their parents so we'll see.  I'm still somewhat amused that they changed Bats Day from August to November because all the poor little goths cried that it was too hot.  You know what?  Real goths are hardcore enough to wear black in August in Southern California.  I'm not a real goth and I still pulled it off last year, so there.  Anyway, we'll see what happens.  I'm sure I'll be there soon enough with Evan and/or Kyra in any case.  Might look up Christina from high school choir and see if she wants to go too.  Turns out she's a passholder as well.

Gonna try and make Halloween fun this year even though I suspect it will be pretty boring.  Gonna clean out my room and get my paperwork together so I can volunteer at Pt. Fermin for the Halloween Carnival.  I'm also working on making a ghawazee coat so I can wear my tribal belly dance garb to Pt. Fermin without being called a tramp.  After that I'll probably have to stay home and chuck candy at small children.  Denise might come over and hang out if she doesn't have to do the same thing at her house.  Ah well.

Stay tuned for project-type things to appear.  I'll post pictures of the ghawazee coat once I start working on it.  God's got some things she wants me to sew as well.  In the meantime, better go clean.

No comments: