Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Selkie Goes to Disneyland

We're going to take a brief interlude from the Oregon trip to talk about Timothy's 2nd trip to Disneyland, which happened on Tuesday August 12th.  My cousin Evan was planning to stay with our grandparents for a few days and asked if we could go to Disneyland while he was here.  So of course I said yes (being an annual passholder rocks).  Evan tried to convince his sister Kyra to come but I guess she was feeling kinda funny so she decided to stay home.  So I picked Evan up from my grandparents house around 9:30 and we were off to Anaheim.


One of the first things we did once we got there
 after...y'know...eating junkfood, was go on the Sailing Ship Columbia.  The Columbia is supposed to be a recreation 
of the first American ship to sail around the world in 1787.  It goes around The Rivers of America (probably on a secret track) until nightfall when it becomes the pirate ship for Fantasmic!  Until then, however, you can ride it on a regular basis, walk around on it, and even go below deck and check out some of the things that would have been on a merchant vessel during the 1700s.  

Here we see Evan posing on the starboard side pondering the hardships of life at sea.  Or more likely thinking about what's for lunch.  Timmy was quite excited to be there.  Just look at the expression on his sweet little face.  "Lookit me, Mom!  I can fly!"
  I also took a couple pictures of Tom Sawyer Island from the ship.  Tom Sawyer Island is now called Pirate's Lair...on Tom Sawyer Island.  I know.  It's sad.  Most kids these days don't even know who the hell Tom Sawyer is anymore.  




So they've got a Jack Sparrow impersonator walking around the island and the sawmill is now LaFitte's Tavern.  Before you ask, no they don't serve drinks there.  If they did it would be a huge improvement.  Come to think of it, I don't think they serve alcohol inside Disneyland Park.  They sure do in California Adventure, but not Disneyland.  But last I heard they were considering it.


 Here's a couple pictures from the inside of the ship while we're at it.

Hey look, weapons!



That stew's been cooking for 58 years but the disembodied hand is a fairly recent addition.

So after the Columbia we ran around and did the usual stuff: Indiana Jones, Pirates, Thunder Mountain, Astro Blasters, etc.  We had lunch at Pizza Port around 3:30 and then hustled back to Splash Mountain to redeem our fastpasses.  We got up there and got seated in the very front >.<  Greeeeeaat.  It was ok though, cause I made Evan take the first seat.  You can do that when you're older ^.^  I haven't been in the front in a long time.  I apologized to Evan in advance in case I screamed in his ear.  Yay for vocal training.  I squealed like a girl on every drop, especially the big one.  All Evan and I can remember is this wall of water coming towards us at the very end.  We were completely soaked through.  I don't think our pants finished drying out until 10:00 that night.  Note to self: gotta get me some board shorts for amusement parks.

So we did some random stuff after getting soaked.  a lot of it involved standing in the sun.  We climbed through Tarzan's Treehouse, which some of you might remember used to be The Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse.  I never saw the movie as a kid but Dad must have loved it because every time we went to Disneyland and I insisted on climbing the treehouse he'd tell me all about it.  I really liked climbing on stuff when I was little.  I'd keep my parents on Tom Sawyer's Island for hours so I could go through caves and climb all over rocks and stuff.  Anyway, not only did Evan remember that the treehouse used to belong to the Swiss Family Robinson, he'd actually seen the movie!  And it turns out it was one of his favorites!  Is it any wonder why I love that kid?

So we walked through the treehouse and took some pictures



I er...think we intruded on something private right there.



Captain Evan takes the helm



Timmy poses with some strange and mysterious artifacts



Look who made a cameo.  Mrs. Potts and Chip were part of the china set in Tarzan for those who haven't already noticed.

After we walked through the treehouse, I showed Evan the secret sausage place and the secret coloring area next to the Princess Fantasy Faire.  Mulan was telling a story, but she hurt our ears so we went away.  We took the train around the park and saw the dinosaurs--rawr!  For Evan, it was the first time he remembered being on the train during the day time.  We went on the Materhorn and I sat in the front, which was scary!  I like the Materhorn and I even like being in the front of the car, but staring at the track on that ride makes you feel like you're going to fly off and die because as far as I can tell there's nothing holding the car to the track.  Oh well, it was fun anyway.  Weeee!


I made Evan go on Casey Jr. because he'd never been.  We had to wait an unusually long time though because they had to go refuel the train.  But we got on and sat in the Monkey cage, much to Evan's dismay, and went around the track.  Evan was kinda surprised at how much speed Casey Jr. actually picks up.  After that we had dinner at the Mexican place in Frontierland, which was better than I remembered it last time.  The beef had a good flavor to it but was still pretty chewy.  Still, not bad for Disneyland.  By then it was around 8:30 so we decided to go park ourselves in Main Street so we would have good seats for the fireworks.  They've been doing the same fireworks show for their 50th celebration for almost four years now and it's so well choreographed that I still haven't gotten tired of it.  Seriously.

I've been trying and trying to upload a video I took of the fireworks but Blogger's just not working with me today.  So here's a link to the upload on Google Video: Star Wars Fireworks.  The quality is pretty crappy in the larger size, so I recommend going to the little google logo in the bottom right hand corner and clicking on either original (which is pretty small but clearer) or double size.  Evan wanted to see Fantasmic! so we hurried over to my favorite spot on the bridge right after the fireworks to wait.  I thought the second showing of Fantasmic! started at 10:00 because the first showing starts at 9:00.  I was wrong, it starts at 10:30.  Oops.  So we had another hour of waiting around, but Evan got to see it so we were happy.  

After Fantasmic!, or as the Spanish announcer likes to say, "FaaaaaaaaanTASmic!" we walked over to The Haunted Mansion, which is a smart thing to do while you're waiting for the crowds to disperse.  Evan was kind enough to take a picture of me and Timmy while we sat in line for the usual short wait.  From November to mid-January the line for The Haunted Mansion is maybe half an hour to an hour long.  But the rest of the year?  Ten minutes.  No lie.


I got these awesome fiber-optic hair barrettes that change color.  Best part is you can replace the batteries, so they can be worn until the fiber-optic strands die.  Sweet!

I think Space Mountain was our last ride of the evening.  Evan and I had a debate over which was better, the old soundtrack or the new one.  But since Evan never got to hear the old soundtrack it was kind of a pointless argument.  Then we got into this discussion over the movie The Last Unicorn.  If you grew up in the 80s you probably remember it.  It was a (albiet, badly animated) cartoon based on the short novel by Peter S. Beagle.  The movie and the book differed from each other slightly but not very much, surprisingly enough.  The biggest difference between the two was the ending.  I saw the movie first as a kid but, as usual, I liked the book better when I got around to reading it.  So Evan thought I was talking about a made for TV movie called Voyage of the Unicorn, which apparently has some version of Medusa in it.  Now, The Last Unicorn does not have Medusa in it.  It has a harpy, but no gorgons.  Well, Evan and I both thought we were talking about different movies.  He kept swearing that The Last Unicorn had a gorgon in it and I kept swearing that it didn't.  He even went so far as to bet money on this fact, which I agreed on.  So Evan whips out his phone and calls Kyra right before we get on the ride and asks her to back him up on this.  Turns out he had the title of the movie wrong and we were talking about two entirely separate films.  I guess technically I won the bet but we called it even due to confusion.  See?  He really is more like a little brother than a cousin.

So we did Space Mountain (I still miss the old soundtrack) and by the time we got off the park was closing.  We headed towards Main Street and stopped to get the usual stuff.  Pretzles for God and Richard, coffee for me, and sugar for Evan.  Every time we go to Disneyland Evan and Kyra get some kind of huge lollipop.  This time he got one of those gianormous unicorn spirals.  I dunno how he eats those things.  I didn't even like em as a kid :P  He did remember to get a lollipop for his sister though, awww.  Granted it wasn't as huge as the one he picked out for himself, but I guess that's what brothers are for.  

It wound up taking us an hour and a half to get out of the park so we got home very late o.o  Evan was crazy enough to go golfing in the morning with Poppy at 6:00 am.  Poppy won though so, um, I guess it wasn't a total loss.  Maybe I'm getting old or something.  Or maybe I just had a lot of fun but the next morning I had what felt like my first ever Disneyland hangover.  This is the state I was in the following morning.  Timothy doesn't look too good either.


No comments: